Now Available: Criminal Conspiracies (2nd Edition) by Margaret Beare.
Written by one of Canada’s foremost authorities on organized crime, Criminal Conspiracies is a well-rounded and concise introduction to organized crime in this country. Fully revised to include recent research findings and examples, this text offers a thoroughly up-to-date and insightful view into the largely hidden world of organized crime. The book’s critical approach challenges readers’ preconceived notions of organized crime and examines the various ways in which organized crime is defined, theorized, and confronted. The second edition includes coverage of hot-button issues such as human trafficking, child pornography, cybercrime, gambling, and illicit drug markets in Canada to help readers understand the real-world impact of organized crime.
Available at: Amazon.ca
Professor Stephen Schneider of St. Mary’s University produces quarterly summaries for the Nathanson Centre on the latest developments concerning organized crime and its enforcement in Canada.
Links to other web sites with up-to-date reports on organized crime in Canada and internationally:
News Releases (Canada)
- Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit (British Columbia)
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada
- Canadian Border Services Agency
News Releases (United States)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Department of Homeland Security
Academic and Research Organizations
- International Association for the Study of Organized Crime – International association dedicated to the study of organized crime.
- Centre for Information and Research on Organized Crime – The centre is an initiative by the departments of criminology from various Dutch universities and government agencies.
- Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime – A network of law enforcement, governance and development practitioners who are dedicated to seeking new and innovative strategies to end organized crime.
- Transnational Crime and Corruption Center – An institute at George Mason University dedicated to research on trends in organized crime and corruption, emphasizing transnational OC, human trafficking, weapons smuggling, money laundering, drug trafficking.
- TransCrime – Research group on transnational crime, based out of the University of Trento (Italy).
E-Magazines and Blogs
- Blue Line – Billed as “Canada’s National Law Enforcement Magazine”
- Canadian Police Chief Magazine – Published by the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police
- FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin – The official magazine of the FBI. Includes issues dating back to 1989.
- Gangsters Out Blog – A summary and commentary on select issues related to organized crime in Canada
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police Gazette – Numerous articles on organized crime and its enforcement.
- Bulletin on Narcotics – Recent news on narcotics trafficking, its enforcement & the struggle against addiction (published by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)